A number of people have asked me about Unite’s guidence on joining the Labour Party. So here it is.
Guidence issued to all Unite Employees.
Joining Unite the union – eligibility to vote in the Labour leadership election
Unite is a trade union representing working people in most sectors of the economy.
People seeking to join Unite are of course very welcome but they should join at the appropriate rate.
For speed of process, we would advise would be members to join online at www.unitetheunion/join
If you are in work, then please join Unite at the full rate, which is £14.06 per month.
If you are not in paid employment; a student, carer, retired or unemployed, membership costs just 50p a week which can be paid annually or monthly by Direct Debit.
You can find out more about the category of membership that is most appropriate for you by visiting http://www.unitetheunion.org/growing-our-union/joinunite/
All Unite members are eligible to vote in the Labour leadership election provided:
1. They pay the political levy – this will be the case unless the member has opted out.
2. They have agreed to be affiliated to the Labour Party and have signed a statement that they support the aims and values of the Labour Party and are not a supporter of any other political party. Unite member should sign up at www.unitetheunion.org/yourpartyyourvoice before 8th August.
3. That they are on the electoral register at the address given to the union and the Labour Party.
4. That have provided a date of birth and email address
5. They have joined Unite and signed up as an affiliated member by August 8th. The Labour party will be conducting the election.
The Labour Party will be first check applications against the electoral register and then will conduct checks on members to ensure that they are not supporters of any other parties.
Unite does not have any role in this process.
All queries about the election timetable and process should be directed to the Labour party at www.labour.org.uk